The documentary is full of controversy, Butcher or who have international titles as The Act of Killing, entered the list of 100 best movies of the 21st century through the website of The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). 100 films are selected, graded and sorted by 177 film critics from around the world.
Although mathematically calculated the 21st century began in 2001, but the criteria for release time from this list precisely calculated starting from 2000. "The year 2000 was a sign for cinema in the world. And especially seeing the emergence of classic films from Asia that we have never seen before, "wrote the BBC through their official website.
While the 177 film critics involved in this list come from all over the world except Antarctica. "Some critics of magazines and newspapers, some of the others is the lead author on many online sites, curator and academic cinema were also involved," said they.Butcher tells of a dark conditions pembataian about one million people in Indonesia who alleged communists, intellectuals, to the ethnic Chinese in the era of 1965 to 1966. This documentary takes the standpoint of a former assassin in the era named Anwar Congo. Butcher directed by Danish named Joshua Oppenheimer.
In 2014 Butcher ago made it into the Best Documentary nominee in one of the highest awards the Academy Awards or often referred to as the Oscars. In the same year it won the trophy Butcher in a similar category in other prestigious event are British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
Here are the top 20 of the list of 100 best films in the 21st century:20. Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman, 2008)
19. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
18. The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke, 2009)
17. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo Del Toro, 2006)
16. Holy Motors (Leos Carax, 2012)
15. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Cristian Mungiu, 2007)
14. The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2012)
13. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)
12. Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)
11. Inside Llewyn Davis (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2013)
10. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007)
9. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
8.Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000)
7. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
5. Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)
4. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
3. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
2. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
1. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)The complete list can be found here
The Act of Killing - Official Trailer (HD)